Darnley’s Elderflower Punch and Loaf Cake
Happy World Gin Day! Elderflower season has arrived and is coming into full blossom across the country. In celebration, we thought now would be the perfect time to share our favourite Elderflower Punch recipe - the perfect drink to share with friends this World Gin Day! Made with Darnley's Original Gin, this summery punch really brings out the bright citrus and light elderflower flavours in the gin.
And what could be a better accompaniment than this Elderflower, Lemon and Gin loaf?
We’d love to hear if you try this recipe, so let us know by tagging us in your posts on social media.
Darnley’s Elderflower Punch
You will need:
200ml Darnley’s Original Gin
500ml Pressed Apple Juice
200ml Elderflower Cordial
100ml Lemon Juice
10ml Absinthe (adds an optional herb taste)
Add all to a large serving jug or carafe and fill with ice. Give it a good stir and enjoy with friends.
Elderflower, Lemon and Gin Loaf
For the loaf:
200g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
Zest of 1 lemon
For the syrup:
125g caster sugar
125ml London Essence Original Tonic
50ml Darnley’s Gin
50ml Elderflower cordial
4-6 wheels of lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan)
2. Grease and line a loaf tin with butter and parchment cases
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy
4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat in each time
5. Fold in the flour gradually and add the baking powder, lemon zest and Darnley’s Original Gin
6. Spoon into loaf tin and bake for 55-60min, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Gently heat the sugar, tonic, gin and elderflower cordial in a small pan. Stir often until you get a syrup like texture
8. When the load is ready remove from oven and poke several holes in it with a skewer and drizzle over the syrup making sure to keep some aside.
9. Add the remaining sugar syrup to a pan, add the lemon slices, and gently simmer for 10 minutes
10. Add the lemon slices to the top of your loaf and leave to cool before serving.