Serve up an Elderflower Gin Loaf this Jubilee Weekend
Treat your friends & family to some home baking this Jubilee weekend with our Elderflower Gin loaf using Darnley's Original gin. Whether you opt to enjoy with a cup of tea or a glass of Elderflower punch, this cake is fit for a Queen.
For the loaf:
For the syrup:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan)
2. Grease and line a loaf tin with butter and parchment cases
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy
4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat in each time
5. Fold in the flour gradually and add the baking powder, lemon zest and Darnley’s Original Gin
6. Spoon into loaf tin and bake for 55-60min, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Gently heat the sugar, tonic, gin and elderflower cordial in a small pan. Stir often until you get a syrup like texture
8. When the load is ready remove from oven and poke several holes in it with a skewer and drizzle over the syrup making sure to keep some aside.
9. Add the remaining sugar syrup to a pan, add the lemon slices, and gently simmer for 10 minutes
10. Add the lemon slices to the top of your loaf and leave to cool before serving.